Translate this page

Friday, July 11, 2014

Islamic group's health advice over Ramadan fasting

One of the UK's leading Islamic groups says it is concerned that Muslims who fast during the month of Ramadan despite being ill are putting their health at risk.
The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) has issued a leaflet with advice on how to fast safely in the current hot weather.
The date of Ramadan this year means UK Muslims will have to abstain from food and water for up to 19 hours a day.

Start Quote

We as doctors have to make the best of that situation to make sure it's as safe as it can be for them to fast, even if personally we don't agree with it”
Shamim IqbalRochadale GP
Muslims who are unwell, pregnant or travelling are all exempt from fasting.
Imam Ibrahim Mogra from the MCB said: "I would be very concerned about an individual who despite the dangers to their health would insist on fasting.
"It would be wrong and un-Islamic, fasting is a gift from God and not a punishment."
Those unable to fast often instead donate money to charities or provide food to the poor.
'I enjoy the struggle'
Ahbid Choudry, 34, was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy when he was 13, a condition which left him unable to walk and with a weakened immune system.
abhid choudryAhbid Choudry has been advised not to fast during Ramadan because he has muscular dystrophy - but still does
Despite his illness, he decided to fast with the rest of his friends.
"Doctors have told me not to but they're the same doctors who told me I wouldn't be here at 22, so their opinion doesn't mean anything to me.
"Fasting's supposed to be a struggle and I enjoy the struggle," he said.
Ahbid's family has expressed concern about his wellbeing, deliberately choosing not to wake him for the customary pre-dawn meal known as Suhoor in the hope he will stop fasting. However, the sales adviser remains adamant he will continue to observe Ramadan.
"I believe it gives me wisdom, I believe it gives me strength and I believe that if I was able to do it for more than just one month, I would."

Start Quote

Fasting's supposed to be a struggle and I enjoy the struggle”
Abhid Choudry
Safe fasting
The UK has a population of 2.7 million Muslims, of whom an estimated 325,000 have diabetes.
They are at higher risk of hypoglycaemia and dehydration during long fasts.
With more than two weeks of the Islamic holy month still remaining, doctors are urging those who are ill and want to fast to seek medical guidance first.
Shamim Iqbal, a GP from Rochdale, said it was important people who are unwell or on medication realise that doctors are there to support them.
She said: "It very much depends on the individual's illness. There are adjustments that can be made and so if you see your GP they can work around it.
"Patches and slow-release medication can be used, where you only need to take it every 12 hours or even every 24 hours."
She added that it was important that those who decide to fast despite being ill shouldn't be afraid of being judged by health professionals.
"They've come to a decision based on their beliefs. We as doctors have to make the best of that situation to make sure it's as safe as it can be for them to fast, even if personally we don't agree with it."

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete